Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Time Honored Tradition


Headed up to Portland to take care of daughter and grandson this week. All the women in my family have done this with the new mothers. My grandmother cared for my mother as each of the seven of us made our appearance. She cooked, cleaned and rocked as my mother took advantage of the help after the miracle/trauma of birth.

My mother came and took care of me, even with the adoption of my oldest. Though not a traumatic birth, I was a new mom and needed to learn the ropes just like any new mom. She cooked and cleaned and told war stories of raising me. The story goes that as soon as I was able to crawl out of her lap, I was off and running. Sounds like me.

Now as I pack to follow in the footsteps of the matriarchs of my family, I remember the overwhelming moments of being a mother. This little person is entirely dependent on me. This life is mine to hold for such a short time and each new moment is precious. I was fortunate to be a stay at home mom. I look back at some of the things I did and marvel at how I ever had the time. I actually purchased wheat to grind to make fresh bread. I made my own yogurt and baby food. The garden produced enough to can for wholesome food and the freezer held organic foods for healthy mom and baby. That was over 35 years ago. Where does the time go?

Time is about the only thing we can't can, freeze or capture. Precious moments are there to enjoy, relish and savor for short periods of time and then only memories are left to remind us. Matriarchs are present in our lives to give us the time to create new memories with our babies. My expectation is that my daughter will do this for her grandchildren, sharing her experience and allowing for another mother to enter the role of mother with loving support. That is what a wise grandmas do.

1 comment:

nancygrayce said...

And you'll have so much fun! :) Enjoy