Saturday, November 29, 2008

Makeover Leftovers

The turkey is not much more than a bunch of bones. Around here, we don't call it good until my granddaughter and I have found the wishbone and make a wish. I think it takes longer to clean up the kitchen than it does to prepare the Thanksgiving meal. But the refrigerator is full of tupperware and foil wrapped leftovers and to be honest, I like the leftovers better than the turkey feast. There are so many opportunities to stretch one's culinary talents.

My mother sent me a new leftover recipe today, and I must say it is well worth repeating. It comes from a talented grandmother and voracious reader not unlike myself. Suzanne Beecher sent this recipe out to her many readers at Dear Reader. Simple and easy - turkey pie.

Use ready made pie crusts to make this even easier but I made my own crust.

Line your pie pan with crust. Add chopped up turkey, stuffing, dice an onion and add leftover vegetables. Cut up the relish tray, or add some frozen vegetables, pour in leftover gravy and cover with the remaining pie crust. Bake in a 400 degree oven until golden brown.

Good eating the day after. That's what a wise grandma would do.


No comments: