Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Going Bananas


My middle daughter is allergic to bananas. Just the thought of one, well, makes her go bananas! Her children, my grandchildren, come over to my house and like monkeys eat bananas as if they will never see one again...they literally will eat several bananas each.

So although there is no need to disguise this delectable fruit from them, I do have a wonderful, delicious recipe that I have passed on to other moms who are looking for ways to get the yellow fruit into their kids bellies. My granddaughter and I call it "Banana Pudding".

Already you are sneering, thinking this is some old grandma recipe with vanilla wafers, but oh ye of little faith. This healthy recipe contains no added sugar, cookies, or otherwise junk food. The big surprise is that kids love it despite its wholesome ingredients. Give it a try and then let this wise grandma know if she steered you wrong.

Banana Pudding

2 ripe bananas (the riper the sweeter the pudding)
1 cup plain yogurt
3/4 c quick oatmeal (as opposed to regular oatmeal)

Blend the bananas and yogurt in a blender until smooth. Add the oatmeal to mix. Depending on how thick you like it, you can blend until smooth or just until mixed. My granddaughter likes it on the thick side. Pour into serving cups. Makes two 8 oz servings or 4 smaller servings.

Place in refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes to set. Delicious, nutritious, satisfying for breakfast or snack. I also add granola on top for a crunchy treat or raspberries for a bit of color!

My daughter won't come within a mile of the stuff but my grandchildren will look for it in the fridge before they hit the cookie jar. True story! Eat healthy!

No comments: