Thursday, September 24, 2009

Labor - Before and After


I have yet to determine which is more difficult - the labor of a natural birth, the labor of an adopted baby or the labor of your own child.

Each of my two natural births were long from 26 to 32 hours. The labor of adopting my oldest daughter was an arduous year long process. But watching one of my daughters going through labor, is an even more difficult ordeal.

Ask any mother, and she will tell you in a heartbeat that she would gladly take the pain to spare her child. Truth is, most of the time you are helpless to do little more than watch.

Today I watch as my daughter brings my 4th grandchild into the world. Interestingly, it is no easier than the first time. As a bonus, this precious spirit will make her arrival on my birthday. This begins another cycle of labor - my mother spent this day decades ago laboring to bring me into the world. I wonder how difficult this is for her. Does she know how grateful I am for my life, for my daughter's life and for the life of this new grandchild?

From daughter to daughter, we share a bond. This new grandbaby will be welcomed by mother, grandmothers and great grandmothers. That is a birthday gift that is truly priceless.

No comments: