Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Cup Of Holly Jolly


I am, once again, graced with the wisdom of my friend, Dr. Hoolala. His words on gratitude provided wisdom to the Thanksgiving feast and now his wishes for the holidays are like presents for both Scrooge and Elves.

Here is the Doctor's prescription for peace on earth.

I can't remember the last time I wrote a Christmas wish-list. This year is different, I've been discovering what I want and learning how to ask for it. Are you ready? Are you really ready? Here's what I want:
 
Compliment a stranger and tell me how they react.
 
Volunteer for two or more hours at a non-profit that you've never heard of before and tell me what it was like for you.

Give a sandwich to a homeless person and tell me their name.
 
Ask a coworker what their dream job would be like and tell me about it.
 
Try to learn a song backwards, sing it at a restaurant, and tell me how people react.

Write an inspirational message inside a bathroom stall with dry erase marker and tell me what you wrote and where.
 
Think of a question you've never asked me before, and ask me.  Make it something that you really want to know, too.
 
That's what I want, any or all of those.  Take your pick.  My only wish is to believe I've made a positive difference in the world, and to help others realize that they too can be positive influences in the world.  If you get this message, it's because you've been a positive influence in my world.
 
Thanks for another year of tears and laughter,
Dr. Hoolala

Right back at you, Dr. That is exactly what a wise grandma would do.

1 comment:

Robin said...

That's a great Christmas prescription. I think I'm going to have to try a couple of those and pass it on. Thanks for sharing that!