Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Oh, The Weather Outside Is Frightful


Here I am bundled in layers of clothing, socks, gloves and sock hat trying to remember what my toes feel like. The temperature outside, although still in double digits, is no longer in the teens and plummeting as we speak. And as luck would have it, my heater is out. 

Why is it, when it gets hot the air conditioning goes out and when it is cold, the heat goes out? It's as if Mother Nature wants to remind us in no uncertain terms, that she is in charge. Despite our best efforts to remain comfortable, she can be a harsh mistress with us at her mercy.

But despite the fact that I can see my breath, I am grateful that I have shelter, food, water (albeit in buckets in the bathtub) warm clothes and wood for the stove. With the temperature below freezing both day and night, I can not help but wonder about those unfortunate souls on the streets with little more than a bush for shelter. 

Support local chapters of Salvation Army, St. Vincent De Paul, warming shelters. Donate your extra blankets, jackets, canned foods, socks, gloves or start a clothing drive in your area. These items will be passed along to those in need. While you sip your hot chocolate you will be warmed by the thought that someone sleeps inside, has socks on their feet or a jacket to protect them. There but for the grace of God, go I...or you or a family, a child, the elderly. That's what a wise grandma would do...as soon as the heat comes back on!

No comments: